Friday, May 13, 2005

If there's anything more important than my ego I want it brought out and shot...


The start of my relationship with H2G2 came about by accident. As a firm Radio One listener at the time, I didn't even know where Radio Four was on the dial. We'd bought the Radio Times for the Christmas TV schedule. While flicking through it, I saw a little caption highlighting a show called the Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy. In my youthful innocence I thought it was about astronomy, and as it was something I was interested in, I retuned the radio... and the rest is history. I taped the remaining programmes, memorized chunks of dialogue, bought the books, watched the admittedly dodgey TV series, and now we have the movie. And..... it's not as bad as I'd feared it would be. It looks good, with an English feel that reminds people of the Python movies. It's a bit of rollercoaster, which is only to be expected, as the movie doesn't have the luxury of time that the other formats do. And that's the movies' biggest failing. Cherished lines are missed, rushed or thrown away, leaving this viewer disappointed. As did Mos Def's performance as Ford Prefect, though his was the only duff performance. But the opening sequence put a broad smile on my face, as did the cameo of the TV Marvin. If they do decide to go the Restaurant at the End of the Universe, I reckon I'll be along for the ride....
Posted by Hello

No comments: