Saturday, November 05, 2005

Aerial View

There are two things guaranteed to send a tingle down my spine and give me goosebumps (why are they called goosebumps?) One is the opening bars of Star Wars, the other is tinkling piano at the start of Wuthering Heights. Whenever I hear it, I'm transported back into another time, (as described in Sandi Thom's I wish I was a Punk Rocker) watching gobsmacked at the TV when this beautiful waif appeared on Top of the Pops. From then I was hooked. While my mates were lusting after the likes of Debbie Harry and Siouxsie Soiux, my bedroom was dominated by a massive poster of Ms Bush, as the record player belted out tracks from The Kick Inside and Lionheart. So imagine my excitement as the days countdown to the release of Aerial, Kate's new offering. Excitement tempered with trepidation though, as with the aformentioned Lucas films, time builds an expectation that seldom delivers. And twelve years is loooong time, so the expectation is sky high. The first single, King of the Mountain, is promising, (though I think the video is awful) and reviews have in the main been favourable, so hopefully my apprehesion will be misplaced.

No comments: