Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Arrrrrghhhhhh Part 2


As my memory seems to be having to be constently defragged by Maxmem, I thought it would be a good idea to add some. No problem, I thought, so I popped open the case and took out the stick I have in there to make sure I got compatable additions. Rebooted after putting it back in and...... nothing. No boot screen, no bios, just a lot of whirring of drives and clicking. Tried again, and again, and again. Nothing. Mild panic starts to rise up as I reopen the case and check the memory. That's ok. Try again. Still nothing. Ok, the panic is picking up now as I try various things like unplugging everything, taking the memory out, plugging things back in, but to no avail. So it's trip round my mate, who has a quick look at the motherboard and points to a part that has melted. (The pic here isn't my board, even I would have spotted it if it was....) Fortunately he had a spare board, as he regularly builds systems for other people, which meant I didn't have to wait to get a replacement. So I've been cautiously putting things back together until now things are back to normal. (And I've sent off for the extra memory) But it's reinforced to me the necessity of backing up important stuff, as you never know what's going to happen.....

No comments: