Friday, June 10, 2005

The Force is strong with this one.....


I waited for all the hoopla to die down before I saw it, but it was worth it. Of all the prequels, this one felt the most like the original movies. Of course, this probably because it has many more references to the earlier -- or do I mean later -- episodes. After episodes one and two I was willing this one to be good, and though it has its faults, I wasn't disappointed. Anakin's slide into the dark side is well done, showing the reasons for his turning. The fights and battle scenes are up to the standards we expect now, and everthing is set up neatly for A New Hope. As in all his performances, Ian McDiarmid acts everyone off the scene as Palaptine, and gets all the best lines.... when he says "rise" to the new Lord Vader I got goosebumps, just as I got a lump in my throat when Owen and Beru Lars hold Luke upto the twin Tattooine suns, echoing the iconic scene in A New Hope. My only real gripe is we didn't see enough of the Chewie and the rest of the Wookies! (Does Chewie ever tell Luke he's met Yoda? Just a thought....) All in all the film works as bridge between the two sets of films and as a piece in its own right, and I'll be off to see it again in a couple of days. Hopefully I'll spot some more of these, and not notice any of these (I only noticed the marching feet out of sync -- the people on this site are really eagle eyed -- or just seen many, many times.....) Away from the Sith, I do have grumble with Mr Lucas. In a recent interview about the release of an "enhanced" THX1138, he said that any previous versions of that movie and the first three Star Wars would not be released again. I'm disappointed by this, as I don't like having my memories tinkered with. They struck the right balance with the recent releases of the Alien series, having both original and extended versions on the same disc. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way, either.....

Posted by Hello

No comments: